This has been on my mind a bit lately. I read the news reports over
the last couple of years and saw the NGEO documentary a couple of
times over the last few weeks.

Today I took a foray over to Pat Mathews blog and read what Pat thinks
(http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/). I don't #strongly# disagree with
Pat, but much of what she says (well...she among other commentators)
is at variance with what I was told during religious training as a
child.

(BTW, I really like Pat's designation of the apocryphal gospels as
"fanfic", but would point out that the canonical gospels are "fanfic"
in exactly the same ways and for the same reasons)

I recall specifically being told that Judas was Jesus' best friend and
that his betrayal was "required".
I'm left wondering how such Gnostic ideas made their way into a
mid-60s Catholic School curriculum. Anyone know what the "official
RCC" position is?
Much of what is related in the NGEO documentary dovetails nicely with
what I was taught and begs for a question to be asked:

Was Judas a villain?

I don't think so myself. If one believes that Christ was divine and
that God has a plan then Judas was just a part of the plan and cannot
be faulted for advancing the sacrifice. Indeed, advancing the
sacrifice and the plan for salvation are grounds for sainthood.

A bit of intra-post rumination brings to mind a Muslim tradition
wherein Jesus and Judas conspire to fake Jesus' death, pulling off a
great scam over Jews and Romans alike. This makes me wonder if Islamic
precursors were influenced by the Gnostics 700 or so years before
Mohammed makes the scene.

Coincidentally, I happen to be reading Judas Unchained by Peter F
Hamilton ATM.
A sign?
<G>

xponent