On 4/27/06, Klaus Stock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > inspired later Muslim philosophers and theologians. For example, the
> > Brethren of Sincerity
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brethren_of_Sincerity
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclopedia_of_the_Brethren_of_Sincerity
> > - full disclosure: I wrote those articles) took a position that the
> > Creator was unbounded in ability and attributes, and that to even
> > describe him in remotely earthly (or comprehensible for that metter)
> > terms was to commit a falsity.
>
> Heck. At least visually God resembles a human, as the Bible tell us so.
>
> Darwinists however might conculde that this means very little, because
> during the creation of the universe, apparently no complex structures
> existed - so the similarities with God won't neccessarily extend past the
> basic structure/interaction of elementary particles and energy.
>
> This discussion can of course be circumvented by adopting one of the most
> popular religious viewpoint ("kill all non-belivers").
>
> - Klaus

Yes, that is true. But it is easy to work around such an objection: of
course God could take on a human form, or that's how we perceive him.
Similarly, the Brethren were not Hanbali theologians; they and quite a
few of the other schools accepted multiple non-literal exoteric and
esoteric readings of the scriptures, and indeed, even allegory.

~maru