At 05:35 PM Thursday 6/8/2006, Deborah Harrell wrote:
In chat yesterday, "double suspension" in a dog's
flat-out run came up; here are stills capturing that,
from a post several years ago.

> There was a photographer named Muybridge in the late
> 19th century who did a series 'Animals in Motion'
(one
> of my horse books has some of his sequences of
running
> horses).  Two of his dog sequences (one a heavy,
> inflexible mastiff and the other a springy whippet)
> are reachable from the following site:
>
> http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Movement/locoindex.html

The whippet sequence shows double suspension, which
means all four feet off the ground both in a collected
or flexed phase, and in full extension.  Horses have a
single suspension gallop (flexed phase), although I
think that some Thoroughbreds (Secretariat IIRC) have
been found to have the extended phase as well.

I suppose if the page had had the Muybridge human locomotion series it would have been deemed unsuitable for posting without a warning.

And I wonder why he never did one of cats?

--Ronn!  :)

"Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country and two words have been added to the pledge of Allegiance... UNDER GOD. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer and that would be eliminated from schools too?"
   -- Red Skelton

(Someone asked me to change my .sig quote back, so I did.)