Charlie Bell wrote:

>> Many animal species have a disequilibrium.
>
> Such as?
>
>> One way is by polygamy.
>
> In mammals, that just leads to lots of unmated males, with fierce
> competition. The overall ratio, if you're talking lions or deer or
> something, is 50-50,

The end result is disequilibrium.

>> Homosexuality is either genetic, cultural or a mix of both. In
>> either case, a lesbian mother in a lesbian society will eventually
>> have an influence in making the daughter lesbian too.
>
> But those who fail will have more offspring, driving the ratio back
> to parity.

Except that those offspring may not be as successful as those
that come from the lesbians, because they weren't as carefully
selected as those.

>>> Even if it does become a common procedure, the selective balance
>>> prevails. Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium models can be used to show how
>>> this happens.
>>
>> So please enlighten me about this.

I am still waiting for the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium models!

>> Intuition shows that genetic
>> manipulation and selection will converge to a mix of Glory Season
>> and Gattaca.
>
> No it doesn't. Gattaca maybe. Glory Season, only on a new planet with
> the geneering done at the time of colonisation.

Why do you think Glory Season so unlikely, with high-tech replacing
the genetic manipulation? Lots of lesbians cloning themselves, and
eventually mixing genes with another lesbian?

>> Selection at the level
>> of eggs may be what we will do - and then there's no reason
>> why both eggs can't come from two women.
>
> Urm... maybe there's a way to combine two eggs. But why? Better to
> substitute the DNA in a spermatozoa and let that do the job. The pain
> involved in fusing two eggs to viability is just not worth it.

It may not be now, but we are talking about the long-range future
of Humanity. If it's possible, then someone will do it.

>> Males are doomed to extinction
>
> Rubbish. Even aphids need males.

Males evolved *because* they were required to cause genetic variation.
If we do *not* want to mutate - are you ready to replace Homo sapiens for
Homo invictus or some other Evil Race from SF? - then cloning and elimination
of variety is all we will get.

Alberto Monteiro