John wrote:

Isn't the real danger of ending up with an unbalanced population,
making it difficult for a generation to find a mate, worth noting?

So you're saying we should tailor our laws to remedy the shortcomings of the Chinese social system?

And is this really functionally different from eugenics?

Eugenics is a social philosophy. I don't think that if I have six offspring and all of them are the same sex and I choose the sex of the seventh to be the opposite sex that that amounts to a social philosophy. It amounts to freedom of choice, one of the principals this country was founded upon.

--
Doug