On 29/07/2006, at 10:45 PM, jdiebremse wrote:

Well, now you've left me confused.   Neither a 1-month old infant,
nor a 7-month unborn child are capable of either of those things,
and you clearly consider them to be human.   So, there clearly is
something else at work in defining humanity for you.

I consider them to be developed enough on their path to full humanity that they've earned protection as humans. But they've an awful lot left to achieve before they're self-aware conscious beings. That's why infants don't get to vote. Or drive.

Charlie