In a message dated 8/2/2006 1:31:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Montana's problems are somewhat interesting.  We can understand  and
empathize with them because we face many of the same kinds of  problems.
In comparison with the disaster that occurred on Easter  Island described
in Chapter Two: Twilight at Easter, however, the problems  our country
faces (at least the short term ones) seem like small potatoes.
Fascinating! Read on.

What struck me was the absence of any easy answers. There are people of  good
will but they cannot agree. The issue of the long term effects of mining of
non-renewable resources is more difficult and profound than I realized. I see
no  solution other than to hold the companies responsible at least in part.