>-- PAT MATHEWS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >From: Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hey, Pat -- this is actually my quoting of Dan, not my
own opinion:

> > > For a right-to-life
> > > person, every child has an inalienable right to
> > > life.  The only possible
> > > exception is when their right to life conflicts
> with the right to life of
> > > the mother.  The mother's health is important,
of
> > > course, but not as
> > > critical as the child's life.  One would wish,
of
> > > course, to choose both,
> > > but when push comes to shove, the right to life
> > > predominates.
>
> Realistically, in a good many situations, the child
> of a mother whose health
> is ruined has far less chance of survival than the
> child of a healthy
> mother. The Bujold list was having a discussion of
> pre-eclampsia, for which
> the only cure is to deliver the baby early, pray he
> survives, and tie the
> mother's tubes. Because the next pregnancy is likely
> to kill both the mother  and the next child.

A distinct possibility; I already noted that I would
discourage starting a pregnancy in such a case.
(BTW, have enjoyed what Bujold I've read.)

> There are some religious traditions which would
> forbid tying the mother's
> tubes. What is the alternative?

Death.

> IMO the goal is to have both mother and child
> thrive, live long, and  prosper.

Agreed.

Debbi
who had to restart, darn it, b/c the 'puter got
logjammed or whatever it is when you can't go forward,
backward or refresh  :P