Excellent post, Dan.    Two ancillary comments.....

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You see that it's mostly small countries that provide troops. I'm
guessing,
> by Bangladesh leading the list, that the troops are paid by the UN,
not
> sponsored by their own countries.

That is correct.    Countries are reimbursed at the rate of $1000 a
month for providing peackeepers.   This is naturally a financial bonus
for developing countries, and not much of an incentive for richer
countries.

It is also worth noting that the US has had a strong historical
tradition against placing its troops under foreign command.   That is
part of the explanation for why the US provides almost no troops to UN
peacekeeping operations, in addition to the reasons you cited.   It is
worth noting, however, that the US funds 26% of the UN peacekeeping
budget, and has veto over the establishment of all peacekeeping
operations.

> Finally, to address your question about handing genocide, it is clear
that
> the options for stopping genocide are limited. UN peacekeeping forces
are,
> with rare exceptions like Korea or Gulf War I,

In fairness, most analysts would not describe the Korean War and Kuwait
War as "peacekeeping."   These missions were not under UN Command, and
not part of the peacekpeeing structure.   (And participants did not
receive UN reimbursement.)    Rather, these two cases were instances of
the UN Secruity Council, acting under Chapter VII, authorized member
States to use "all necessary means" to achieve an objective that the UN
Security Council had judged to be necessary for the maintenance of
international peace and security.

JDG