On 14/09/2006, at 8:58 PM, jdiebremse wrote:

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Good question. Where does "devout" become "fanatical"? I think you
may be onto something here.

When the choices of others are involved?

That's a good answer.

Of course, under this definition, the Easter Islanders would not be
regarded as "fanatical", right?

Additionally, would you consider such practices as "wearing a hair
shirt" or adopting the lifestyle of an ascetical hermit to
be "fanatical"?

No. Excessive, maybe. To a non-believer, lunacy. But still devout rather than fanatical, I think.

Mind you, it's the sort of playing with degrees that plagues the human/not-yet-human debate, so frankly it's poisoned from the start.

Charlie.