I'm not sure if this went through the first time, so let me try
again....

O.k., I promised to take the lead on this Chapter, so here goes.
This will admittedly be interesting, as I am sure that it is
becoming clear by now that I am somewhat of a skeptic of this book.

Anyhow, by now the pattern of Diamond's narrative is becoming
clear.   Prehistoric human civilization flourishes.   Over time,
prehistoric human civilization overpopulates and degrades its
environment causing it to retreat from its former glory.

As I noted earlier, my first objection to this Chapter is his use of
the term "Anasazi" for the people of Chaco Canyon.   "Anasazi" is
believed to have its origins in a Navajo word for "ancient enemy."
This isn't necessarily so bad, especially under the early
interpretation that the people of Chaco Canyon (and related sites
such as Mesa Verde) had mysteriously "disappeared" – which in the
past has inspired some fantastical stories of alien contact and
whatnot.   Modern historians now recognize, however, that the people
of Chaco Canyon did not simply "disappear."   Rather as Chaco Canyon
went into decline, the Mesa Verde site to the north began to grow in
prominence, and there seems to be much evidence that the Mesa Verde
civilization was simply a continuation of the Chaco Culture
civilization.   Continuing to connect the dots, historians now see
linkages from Mesa Verde to the massive petroglyph sites near
Albuquerque and the Salinas Mission Pueblos such as Gran Quivira in
north-central New Mexico; and from there to the peoples of the
modern day pueblos that survive to this day.   As you might imagine,
the modern day Pueblos aren't exactly thrilled about the idea of
their ancestors being called by a name translating as "enemy" – and
translating from a foreign language at that.    Thus, most
historians prefer the politically-correct, but much less elegant
term, "Ancestral Puebloans" for the people of Chaco Canyon and Mesa
Verde.    What's truly odd, however, is that not only does Diamond
use the term "Anasazi" exclusively, but he doesn't even acknowledge
the existence of the debate.

Now while Diamond does in fact point out that modern-day Puebloans
are indeed descendants of the people of Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde,
I can't help but feel that he brushes over that fact.   After all,
if the Chaco Canyon people continue to thrive to this day, then they
don't make a very good type-example of "collapse"!

In order to understand the "collapse" of Chaco Canyon it is
important to also understand the role that Chaco Canyon had in
Ancestral Puebloan culture before its abandonment.   Diamond
presents a little bit of this, but overall I think he proceeds a
little too quickly to the (admittedly fascinating) story of how
examination of timbers and analysis of packrat middens illuminated
the story of environmental degradation around Chaco Canyon.    For
example, Diamond opens the chapter by comparing Chaco Canyon to the
great Mayan cities (mentioning on the side that they were naturally
of a much smaller scale.)    Yet, it is not actually clear that
Chaco Canyon was a city at all.   The National Park Service's
interpretation often presents evidence that buildings of Chaco
Canyon may have been primarily religious in nature, or some other
form of public architecture.   For example, there are stone markers
that mark the solstices, and little evidence of city life.   It is
possible that Chaco Canyon was used primarily for religious
festivals, with only a small year-round population of priestly
attendants.   Its also possible that perhaps these festivals were
accompanied by a large market for trading.  Diamond only obliquely
mentions the road network of the Ancestral Puebloans, which appears
to have been centered on Chaco Canyon.   One of the most remarkable
features of these roads is that they are almost perfectly straight –
they do not bend around any obstacles.   If a Cliffside is
encountered, the road literally goes almost straight up the
hillside!   This suggests that the roads served some sort of
ceremonial or religious purpose, and further lends credence to the
idea that Chaco Canyon may have had more significance as a
religious, spiritual, and social center than as a population
center.   And if that is true, what does that truly say about
the "collapse" of the Chaco Canyon civilization, that seems to occur
right about the time that Mesa Verde, to the north, is growing in
prominence?   Is it possible that religious and social factors
played as large a role, if not a larger role, than the environmental
factors Diamond cites – particular if this is a case not of
civilizational "collapse", but civilization "transience"?

Diamond does present a fascinating scientific "detective tale" of
uncovering the environmental degradation around Chaco Canyon through
analysis of the various timbers used in the buildings of Chaco
Canyon, and the clues left behind in packrat middens.    Yet, at the
end of this Chapter, Diamond hints at the truly amazing time scales
at work here.   Chaco Canyon was first inhabited in the 600's, and
according to my notes from my visit to Chaco Canyon this summer,
building construction was underway by the mid-late 800's.   Chaco
Canyon wouldn't be abandoned until the early 1200's.   The six
hundred year settlement of Chaco Canyon is longer by two hundred
years than the continuous settlement in the area of Jamestown,
Virginia.    Moreover, according to Diamond's tree pole analysis,
Chaco Canyon was deforested "by around A.D. 1000." (167 in the
paperback)    Yet, according to the National Park Service, Chaco
Canyon was just reaching the height of its influence – and
this "Golden Age" would last until the mid-1100's.   Set against
this timeline, the connection between environmental degradation and
civilization collapse seems much weaker.   Even moreso when you
consider that Mesa Verde, to the north, wouldn't be abandoned until
the 1300's.

On a side note, Diamond only hints as this – but it is a true
testament to the ingenuity of the Ancestral Puebloans that they were
able to move enormous logs for building construction great distances
without the help of pack animals, and without taking advantage of
water transportation (water transportation would have left evidence
in the logs, which is not visible.)    It probably takes standing in
one of these structures to truly fully appreciate just what I am
talking about.

Finally, Diamond dismisses the role of hostile neighbors in collapse
here, in part because he is only concerned about Chaco Canyon.   It
is interesting to note, however, that the Ancestral Puebloan
settlements at and around Mesa Verde do show evidence that the
Ancestral Puebloans were concerned about defense, particularly in
the late 1200's.

So, in terms of discussion questions:

Diamond related in the Chapter on the Pitcairn Islands how trading
with friendly neighbors can sustain a civilization.   Chaco Canyon
was clearly at the heart of an extensive trading network reaching to
Mexico, the Pacific, and the central Great Plains.   Did Chaco
Canyon stave off collapse for so long because of its trading ties?
Or did the extensive trading increase the population pressures on
the Canyon, pushing it to unsustainable levels, and ultimately
leading to the Canyon's abandonment?

So far, our three examples of "collapse", Easter, Pitcairn, and
Chaco Canyon have all shared the feature of being settled in a
marginal environment.   Is a marginal environment a prerequisite
for "collapse"?

JDG

P.S. Anyone who is interested can check out some of my photos from
Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde here:

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=629201158810507416/l=210234351/g=357
1940/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB