-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: brin-l@mccmedia.com
Sent: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: 9/11 conspiracies (WAS RE: What should we believe when there is no
reliab...

On 21/09/2006, at 12:21 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The similarity is a fact. The progression is a fact. The analysis that
therefore all creatures are descended from common ancestors is very close to
certain. I'd call fact, because there has been no other explanation that stands
up to scrutiny. How it happened this way, that's theory. I note that you
introduced "data". Yes, on the simplest level data is facts and analysis is
theory, but as you say:
> " The relationship between
> fact and theory (or maybe data and hypothesis) is dynamic and not > easily
> seperated."

So is it a fact that evolution occurs because of natural selection or is that a
theory? After all the data to support natural selection as a mechanism (maybe
not the only mechanism but a mechanism) is extremely solid as well. It comes
from many disciplines and can be direcltly proven in experiments on organisms
with short generetatiion times (bacteria viruses). To me natural selection is a
proven mechanism of evolution. Steven Pinker has stated that it is the only
explanation for the presence of adaptations in the world.

But with 9/11, autism/vaccine crankery, creationism, alternative medicine,
perpetual motion and so on, we're seeing groups that either corrupt this
relationship and the nature of science, or just ignore or dismiss it entirely.

These people ignore data and pre-existent well tested theories. They rely not
on facts as a whole but isolated pieces of data and they develop theories that
cannot stand the test of experience or time

Charlie