--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Mauro Diotallevi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Several years ago I had the pleasure of attending a presentation in
Kansas
> City made by an archeologist who had been doing research in Chaco
Canyon.
> His theory was that there were major religious festivals between one
and
> three times per year, and that the canyon was eventually abandoned,
but
> instead of heading north to Mesa Verde as in the theory you mention,
JDG, he
> suggested there was a major split in the civilization with some going
north
> but many, perhaps a majority, heading south, perhaps a few hundred
miles or
> more south.
>
> It was a long time ago, but I remember him presenting some evidence
that
> trade with cultures in what we now call Mexico had been on the rise,
and he
> suggested that might have caused a cultural rift. I think he may have
also
> suggested that the Mesa Verde people might have actually come from
farther
> north and interbred with people of the Chaco Canyon civilization, so
you
> have this culture in the middle -- whether they lived or just
worshipped in
> Chaco Canyon -- caught between a "northernizing" of their culture on
the one
> hand and a "southernizing" on the other.

Thanks Mauro - this was very interesting.

The National Park Service did emphasize that there is a lot that we
don't know.   Additionally, it was also pointed out that while Mesa
Verde rose in importance after Chaco Canyon declined in importance, it
almost certainly wasn't a simple matter of the Chacoans moving to Mesa
Verde (especially since Chaco Canyon was most likely a
religious/ceremonial/trading center rather than a population center), as
Mesa Verde was already well-inhabited during the Chaco Canyon years -
but a matter of shifting influence.   I often think that a good analogy
could be the shift in importance from a city like Buffalo (which hosted
the Pan-American Exposition in 1903) to a city like Phoenix or
Austin-San Antonio.

I sometimes wonder what the shift must have been like.  For example, who
was the last person at Chaco Canyon to "turn the lights out"?   Was
there declining attendance at the main festival over the years - until
finally the ceremonial leaders just gave up?   Or did the crowds "pass
by acclamation" one year a motion to next year meet somewhere else?

Anyhow, your theory of cultural split from Chaco Canyon is very
interesting.   It was definitely presented that the southern-area
pueblos and Mesa Verdes were all descended culturally from Chaco Canyon,
but it was more presented as Mesa Verde first rising in influence, and
then the southern-area pueblos rising in influence after the abandonment
of Mesa Verde and the surounding "Canyons of the Ancients" areas.

Thanks for contributing!

JDG