> Going back to basics, it seems to me that our experience with orbital
> mechanics for spacecraft and satelites and our use of the "slingshot
> effect" to propel interplanetary missions to the outer solar system
> are pretty good evidence that we have a good theory and a good grasp
> of it.

Well, the fact that we can use it is always a good confirmation.  Very
precise measurements of this effect, more precise than needed to use the
effect, will allow us to test the predictions of GR.  So that's a good
thing.

> We have had discussions here of the Pioneer Anamoly in the past, and
> IIRC the question is still open so it isn't like we need to abandon
> current theory as unrealistic.

The last thing that I read was that the anomalies were consistent with at
least one possible mundane cause.  This is, almost universally, considered a
lack of evidence supporting an unknown force in science.  Even, as with the
orbit of the moon, there appears to be no mundane explanation for observed
phenomena, the explanation almost always ends up being mundane.  So, the
Pioneer Anamoly, while probably worth continued investigation, does not
offer any evidence for new physics.

Dark matter is only quazi-new physics....its existence can be explained
within the standard model.  For the lurkers, I might mention that dark
matter is needed to explain gravitational attraction in galaxies...which is
higher than one would expect from the gravitational attraction of the
observed matter.

Dark energy, on the other hand, is not explicable in terms of the standard
model.  It postulates a new force...an anti-gravity force.  This force is
sufficient to overcome gravity and accelerate the expansion of the universe.

As an aside, the first results of GP-B will be given at the APS meeting in
April.  My guess is that they are not earth shattering....or they'd be
pre-announced in the press.

Dan M.