No, but that's an awfully low bar, isn't it.  Good science has been gleamed
from my own work.....and that has come at _a lot_ lower price than NASA.

> I would say that learning to live in space is of enormous value.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but look at the self referential nature of
your lead statement. Learning to live in space is valuable only for a manned
space program.  There is a bit of biology that can be done on this, but the
impact of zero-G studies on our understanding of biology in general has been
small.

> Learning to manufacture in zeroG is valuable.

How valuable?  It is certainly less valuable than the lift costs. While the
shuttle is more expensive than the Saturn V would be, it's in terms of
percentages, not factors of 10....which is what we need to have real zero G
manufacturing.  If we do find a way to get lift costs down a factor of, say,
100, than we could apply what we've learned already.  But, we gained
virtually nothing by doing a very small amount of zero-G manufacturing
decades in advance of when it would be practical on even a small scale.

>Repairing Hubble has been useful.

That is the one tangible action of the manned space program that's worth
real money.  But, several Hubbles could have been lifted into space for one
year's worth of the manned space cost.

> We still lack a robotic entity that can equal a human. Those little
> rovers on Mars are a pretty weak substitute for a geologist with
> rudimentary chemistry kit.

I don't know about that.  Remember, 99.9%+ of geology and geophysics is done
remotely now.  Cores are still useful and valuable for checking
instrumentation, but not with just a simple chemistry kit.  More work on
things like permeability can be done with cores....and standoff is not an
issue with core density measurements.  But, wireline tools are routinely
expected to give most of the information available from cores downhole.

While geology schools probably still teach hands on geology with simple
chemistry kits, virtually every professional geologist puts that kit away
and uses remote techniques professionally.

> I could look at a picture of Dan's home and know a few things about
> it. I could learn a bit more if I were to get a hold of some samples
> of things from Dan's house. But if I were to visit Dan's home for a
> bit, I would understand a whole lot more about the dynamics of Planet
> Dan than I could from pictures or samples of flatware.

The ability to get the gestalt of social dynamics is rather different from
being able to

> Does it always have to be about scientific advancement in the
> immediate sense?

No, but what other value do you suggest?

> To some degree it has to be about flexing the muscles of engineering
> (not because it is easy, but because it is hard).<G>

But, the manned space program _must_ use well established engineering
techniques. Not only that, but there is ~5 years of bureaucracy involved in
adapting a technique that is new to the manned spaceflight program.   The
environmental requirements for manned space flight are very simple compared
to the requirements my equipment had to meet (with a few exceptions like the
inside of rocket engines).  I talked to a NASA engineer who was frustrated
that he couldn't use well established techniques that greatly improve
reliability, and thus safety, because it was not acceptable.

> Resting on ones laurels is a sure way to fall behind and it sure looks
> to me like others are catching up. Today Iran had a successful
> sub-orbital flight.
> Iran, dammit, Iran!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, that just shows that there is an inherent wall in aerospace
development.  As is typically the case in mature technologies, a
breakthrough will come not by trying the same thing again, but by the
application of something else.  So, the solution is to work on a lot of
something elses, not manned space flight.  Manned space flight, due to the
high cost of failure, cannot be at the forefront of technology.

> What reason would there be to continually re-engineer the SatV for the
> duration of it's use? At some point it is just manufacturing costs and
> incidental engineering costs.

Manufacturing costs are high.  For the last 25+ years, with only one
exception I think, the cost of the shuttles themselves has just been
maintenance.

>The R&D would be spent on newer vehicles launched on SatV.

Manned spaceflight hasn't had real R&D since the mid-70s.

> Would you feel differently if the manned program was doing something
> that was actually useful?

Without significant opportunity costs? yes.

> If the program had set up permanent zeroG manufacturing lines making
> products that could only be made in space, would the bang for the buck
> equations be more favorable to you?

It would be.....but that would require factors of 100 or so drops in lift
costs.  Being generous, we might have gotten a factor of 2 drop if we chose
your idea....but that's being generous.

Dan M.