At 08:58 PM Friday 5/11/2007, Robert G. Seeberger wrote:
>On 5/11/2007 7:45:36 PM, Ronn! Blankenship
>([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > Not that kind.  Get your mind out of the gutter.
> >

> > There are screws which have a hexagonal-shaped depression in the
> > head
> > which require a tool which is variously called an "Allen wrench" or
> > "hex key" to turn them.  Then there are some which have a hexagonal
> > depression in the head but instead of being flat the bottom of the
> > depression has a raised bump in the center, which means that a
> > regular Allen wrench or hex key will not go far enough down into the
> > depression to turn them.  (Which I think is the point.)  Any of you
> > engineering types or handypersons know what the latter are properly
> > called?  I need to open something to [attempt to] repair it, and it
> > is held together with that type of screws, and since all I have are
> > regular hex keys (some plain, some with ball ends), I need to know
> > what kind of tool to get in order to remove and replace those
> > screws.  I've tried searching on-line for things like "hex key" and
> > "bump" together, with no luck so far . . .
> >
> > TIA.
>
>Easy one!
>What you have is an "Allen Head Security Screw" AKA "Allen Head Tamper
>Resistant Screw".
>That little bump is there to keep people (unqualified people you might
>say) out.
>I have several security tip sets and they are somewhat hard to find. I
>know you can get them at Frys (well.....an overpriced mediocre set),

What think you of the two on this page?

<http://www.rainbowkits.com/tools/tools.html>

>and I have found them at a couple of computer/electronics stores. (The
>kind of electronics store that sells resistors and capacitors mind
>you)

When I think of "electronics store" I always think of Radio Shack
before thinking of Circuit City.  (It does seem that there are a
couple of Fry's locations in Georgia, both off on the NE side of
Atlanta, which would be a 3-hour trip each way assuming traffic on
285 was moving and not its frequent parking-lot status, and the gas
for the trip would probably be more than the price of both of the
sets at the above link . . . and all the ones with "Tamper Resistant"
in the name I see listed on their web site are star/Torx drivers . . .

http://shop4.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqxts=1&query_string=tamper+Resistant&cat=0&submit.x=8&submit.y=10

which would do the job if I wanted to vandalize the men's room at the
Wal-Mart Supercenter I was at on Saturday, but would not help me fix
what I need to here . . . )

-- Ronn!  :)