One way would be to have a string of simple health clinics that could do
checkups and make ordinary repairs - stitches, shots, setting broken bones,
monitoring diabetics, etc - and refer people to other facilities if there
were problems. They need not be staffed by doctors: they could be staffed by
medics, paramedics, medtechs, nurse-practitioners, etc - with a doctor on
call who also made the rounds of the clinics on a regular schedule.

As it is, I know a fair number of people who go to herbalists and other
alternative practitioners for a lot of their health care, partly because of
all the hassle and expense involved in using the health care system. If
anyone wants to howl about witchcraft, all I can say is, the witch gives
decent service at affordable prices, and is usually either an experienced
practitioner of traditional medicine (hence with a long tradition of knowing
when to send the patient to Public Health) or a college-educated person of a
New Age persuasion. And both the latter are far more skilled at taking care
of the patient's emotional, spiritual, and family-oriented needs than the
health care system (which for the most part does not address them.)

For example: a Navajo veteran might see the VA for combat wounds, but for
PTSD would also have an Enemy Way Sing done, and the sing can be very
effective.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

"'Earth is just a starter planet.' Stephen Colbert"