At 03:20 PM Sunday 6/3/2007, Julia Thompson wrote:

>What happened in 2004 made me think that Moore was just a blowhard and
>*anything* he did should be taken with a barrel of salt.  That was just
>a really bad PR move on his part that ticked off a bunch of intelligent
>people who might be otherwise willing to defend him against detractors.

And confirmed the opinions of those who already disagreed with his
political positions and gave them all the hard proof they needed that
their opinion of him as a person was correct.

>Documentary director?  Give me Spike Lee, any day.

I can't think of the title of it atm, but I just about injured myself
laughing at Moore's comedy where the US ends up going to war with
Canada.  Perhaps he should have stuck to making films like that . . .

And speaking of Spike Lee, from
<http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/the-feminine-mistake/>:

<quote>

The most hyper-liberal, super-P.C. professor of my life was the
instructor of a Portland State class I took called "Writing About
Film." We'll call her Jackie. [...]  One time she mentioned Spike Lee
for one reason or another, and then she asked, "How many of you are
Spike Lee fans?" Only a couple of hands went up. She tsk-tsked and
said, "Another sign we live in a racist society."

Now, I thought she was joking. It was a funny thing to say, and I
chortled. But I was the only one. She continued on with whatever she
was talking about, and I never knew for sure whether she was kidding
or whether she really did think that failing to be a Spike Lee fan
was indicative of being stuck in a racist society. Did she believe
that in a world entirely devoid of racism, Spike Lee would have
legions of fans, and that the only reason he's not as popular as
Steven Spielberg now is that The Man is keeping him down? Really? I
mean, there are plenty of white filmmakers I'm not a big fan of, too.
And don't even get me started on the Asians!

</quote>

(And on a completely different subject which I suppose has some
relation to topics we have been discussing here recently is this
week's column:  "Two to a Womb: A Dallas mom has three sets of twins
-- but no husband or job" <http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/two-to-a-womb/>)

-- Ronn!  :)