http://fallbackbelmont.blogspot.com/2007/06/monzers-ball.html

One of the PajamasMedia cronies posted this (and further spread by
Glen Reynolds).
So I wonder, just how much liability do we incur when we heavily tax
vices?
That we enable a black market seems to be a no-brainer, but do things
balance out overall with the benefits that the high taxes are meant to
encourage?

I know many Libertarians would say that such high taxes are an overall
detriment and that many Liberals and some Conservatives would look at
the health benefits that could accrue from vice taxes.

It seems to me that various parties will draw conclusions from "The
War On Drugs" and "Prohibition" and that others will look to "The War
On Cancer" and the current governmental and corporate (not to mention
the peoples) struggles with insurance and medical costs.

I'm a bit torn here. I believe that Newton's "For every action there
is an equal and opposite re-action" frequently applies to social
interactions as well as physical interactions. That is, in a way, a
formulation of the law of unintended consequences.
So the question remains, "Should we be spending our money elsewhere?"

xponent
Criminal Tax Havens Maru
rob