I thought it would be obvious...trips that require several transfers.  Let
me give you a specific example from the western part of London.  I'll use
street corners because I don't have addresses....I took a while in answering
because I knew that I'd have to prove it with a specific example...and it
wasn't trivial for me to do the bus routes, schedules, etc...and be sure I
stay within London proper with my example.

Anyways, the example is Exmouth Rd. and Appledore Ave to Balmoral and
Waverly and back on a Sunday afternoon....about 4 miles each way.  It takes
several changes of bus on each end, plus about a half mile walk each side.
I am not _that_ familiar with London traffic, but my memory is that it's not
terrible on the weekends, except for special occasions.  So, 20 minutes for
the 8 mile round trip by car sounds reasonable by me....but it might take
30.

As far as I can see, several busses would have to be taken each way.  Adding
the time it takes to wait, along with the added time to take the bus routes
(with stops) instead of the direct routes, that would be 40-60 minutes each
way...nearest bus stop to nearest bus stop.  Including the time it takes to
walk a total of two miles, for someone who is not walking briskly...say 20
minute miles), and that gives us 2 hours to 2 hours 40 minutes for the trip.

FWIW, the frequency of the outlying busses was a bit more than I would have
guessed.

Dan M.