On 03/10/2007, at 11:07 AM, Dan Minettte wrote:

>> Yep. I'm still wondering what bits of London are 20 mins apart by car
>> and hours apart by public transport (apart from at 3am, at which time
>> most of London is 20 mins by car and unreachable at all by public
>> transport...).
>
> I thought it would be obvious...trips that require several transfers.

Maybe, but I'm having trouble thinking of real-world examples within
inner or outer London, and certainly had no trouble getting from
Hammersmith to Acton or whatever (which is radial...). Took an hour
on the bus instead of 40 mins in the car.

> Anyways, the example is Exmouth Rd. and Appledore Ave to Balmoral and
> Waverly and back on a Sunday afternoon....

I like the way you sneak the "and back" in there, as I was figuring
on two places 20 mins apart, not two place 20 mins there and back,
which obviously changes things drastically by adding extra waiting
time for the turnaround, along with specifying Sunday when traffic is
at its best and public transport on its worst day (and people would
be making different sorts of journey to a weekday).

Also, not giving the proper road names - "Balmoral and Waverly" means
*nothing* to a Brit - and no suburbs makes it way harder than it
needed to for me to look. There are over 30 streets called Balmoral
something inside the M25 London Orbital. There are none called
Waverly something. There are 40-ish called "Waverley" something. In
fact, I can't find where there are two roads intersecting called
those things, and I've looked. I found the junction of "Exmouth and
Appledore" at http://tinyurl.com/3xoy4y but the other one eludes me.

You're also talking "Greater London", which is out beyond "outer
London" as referred to in the original article. Places like Harrow,
Kingston and Ruislip aren't considered London proper (they don't have
London postcodes).

This is called "stacking the deck"...

> FWIW, the frequency of the outlying busses was a bit more than I
> would have
> guessed.

It's pretty good in the UK. And, as I pointed out, any limitation on
private transport would lead to an increase in routes and frequency
of public transport.

If you actually point out where you were talking about (try a google
maps pointer) and I'll check your work against the public transport
route finder...

Charlie.