Dan wrote:

> 1) Are you interested in a discussion on the vision of myself and at least
> one other person who was an active poster that discussions are often
> thwarted by pronouncements that come as if they come from Olympus, rather
> than arguments that folks want others to discuss so the author can test
> their own ideas?

I'm certainly interested in  a good discussion, but I find it very
difficult  to debate with you because you are a very prolific writer with no
apparent limit on the time you have to research a topic.  I would not be
surprised to find that this is what you do for a living.  Furthermore you
are very good at manipulating statistics to bolster your arguments, but as
Charlie pointed out a couple of times late last year, you have a tendency to
mold the facts and figures to fit your opinion (reference a recent mass
transit discussion).

Furthermore, look at the size of your last two posts.  There's more volume
there than all the posts from everyone else on the list for several days
prior.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm often overwhelmed by the
shear size of your posts.  I'm not nearly as prolific and I seldom have more
than an hour a day to peruse and respond to all of my personal email.
Responding to each and every point of your argument with a properly
researched reply may take several hours (and in fact it has).   What I ended
up doing on more than one occasion was to take just one portion of your
argument and zero in on it.  But this would usually be met with a reply that
was, once again, overwhelming.

Understand, if it's not obvious, that in most respects I'm complimenting you
and letting you know that you're just too good at these discussions for me
to compete.  This isn't to say that I think you're always right or even that
you've always made your point well.  I just can't keep up all the time, so
often times I just give up.

I'm sure this is frustrating to you. Its certainly frustrating to me.

Doug