On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Dave Land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Gary Nunn wrote:
>
> > COLUMBUS, Ohio, April 9 (UPI) -- An Ohio lawmaker has proposed a bill
> > requiring parents of public school children to volunteer at the
> > schools or pay a $100 fine.
>
> This was the policy at the private school Ryan attended through 4th
> grade: if you didn't volunteer for at least one of the two parent work
> days, you were fined $100. Actually, it was the other way around: you
> were charged $100, which would be refunded if you "volunteered".

As you point out, those were called "work days," not "volunteer days."

Did anyone pretend it was a volunteer activity?  Seems more reasonable than
the Ohio way... but there's no reasonable way to force parents to be
involved in their childrens' lives, is there?

(I suppose it's only fair to disclose that my wife worked (for 17 years) at
the school Dave's son went to... but had little or nothing to do with the
policy.)

This seems to be an economic "solution" to a non-economic problem.  A stick
instead of a carrot, perhaps.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett