On 25/04/2008, at 2:46 PM, Nick Arnett wrote:

>>> Sounds like the school district is not allowing religion to be an
>>> excuse for
>>> inappropriate teaching.
>>
>> Um. *blink* I'm talking about the school kids and parents supporting
>> the teacher's bad (and, um, probably criminal) behaviour.
>>

> Point taken... but I guess I'm drawing a difference between those
> who defend
> this sort of thing because they are like-minded and those who defend
> it on
> principle when they aren't like-minded.

Sometimes people are just wrong. I'd be defending him if he helped out
with the Bible Study Club out of school hours (as a member of my
school's Christian Union, I went to bible study twice a week and was
grateful to teachers giving up their own time to the club). But he
didn't. He was proselytising in class. And he was teaching creationism
in science class. And he burnt students with an electrical device.

>  I don't see much of the latter.
> You don't see atheists rallying around that guy because they believe
> in his
> principles.

  http://www.aclu.org/religion/govtfunding/26526res20060824.html

You do see the ACLU standing up for religious free speech when it is
being disregarded. You don't see that much of atheists rallying round
the oppressed religious (except possibly when atheists and minority
religious like wiccans or Muslims are trying to get equal treatment to
the Xian majority), because there just aren't that many cases of the
religious being oppressed - they've got such a huge majority.

I stand up for the right of anyone to believe what they want. I do not
support people who teach their own beliefs in lieu of the curriculum,
and I definitely do not support teachers, people who are proxy
guardians to other people's children, causing those children physical
harm (no matter how minor) to make a point.

Charlie.