Original Message:
-----------------
From: Ronn! Blankenship [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 19:22:53 -0500
To: brin-l@mccmedia.com
Subject: RE: An interesting response

At 05:34 PM Monday 5/5/2008, Dan M wrote:

>The more substantial point involves the maximum speed achieved by piloted
>planes over about the last 60 years.
>
>1947    312
>1968    925
>1990    1000
>2008    1000

There is obviously some additional modifier missing here, since even
if the X-15 is disqualified since it used a rocket engine rather than
an air-breathing engine, the SR-71 is still considered a jet aircraft
(even if it uses exotic fuel) and is piloted
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldon_W._Joersz>).

Sorry, I was doing meters/second and didn't give units like I meant to.
1000 comes out to 2236 mph, a bit more than your source which claims 2188.
Maybe the 2236 wasn't quite official for some reason.  But, we basicaly
agree here. And yes, I didn't consider rocket planes, and didn't consider
the shuttle, etc.

Dan M.