John, if you look to at what Jimmy Carter tried to tell us before his
last failed election run against Reagan and compare it to where we are
today you might reconsider his position in history.

A friend Andrew Bacevich addresses some of this in his new book, The
Limits of Power.(shameless plug for Skip)
You might want to watch the discussion on Bill Moyer's Journal
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/08152008/watch.html

I totally agree with Olin's comments.  I am not sure how Obama will
support the scientific community other than getting out of the
business of trying to make scientific reports match political agendas.
I suspect his economic social and foreign policy initiatives to get us
back on track will force science budgets to the back burner.

Chris Frandsen
Remember Remember 4 November!