On Aug 30, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Gary Nunn wrote:

>> "McCain's VP Wants Creationism Taught in School"
>>
>> http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/08/mccains-vp-want.html
>> Told you Maru
>> William T Goodall
>

> I'm reading that blog entry a little different. She appears to be
> advocating
> to allow the debate and discussion of both. I didn't read anything
> that
> shows her as completely supporting creationism instead of evolution.
>
> It reads like she's trying to be politically correct as not to
> offend either
> camp:
>
> "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of education. Healthy debate
> is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent
> of teaching both."
>
> Asked by the Anchorage Daily News whether she believed in evolution,
> Palin declined to answer, but said that "I don't think there should
> be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class."
>
> "I'm not going to pretend I know how all this came to be," she said.
>

> I don't think I would want it to be taught as an "equal"
> alternative, but
> she's right, a healthy (and controlled) debate about a socially
> sensitive
> subject could be a healthy and useful life skill to develop.

Except that "teach the controversy", i.e. treating creationism as a
competing scientific theority to evolution, is a stated (and
documented) tactic of the "intelligent design" movement, specifically
as a means of positioning creationism as a legitimate scientific theory.

IMHO, even *admitting* creation into a classroom science discussion is
already losing the battle. Creationism is religious doctrine dressed
up as pseudoscience, and "creation science" is a pseudoscientific
rationalization of creationism based on flawed and outdated scientific
understanding and teaching resources, and "intelligent design" is a
creative rebranding of "creation science" with some superficial
wording changes (and this is documented in the Kitzmiller v Dover
case) to make it sound less "religious" and more "scientific". It's
not science, and dressing it up in scientific-sounding language
doesn't change that.  (It *does* make it *look* like science to people
who don't understand what science *is* or how it works .. to them,
"creation science" and evolution *do indeed* sound like competing
theories of roughly equal merit, and they *do indeed* see the illusion
of a choice between the two, with supernatural consequences.)

"Listen, when you get home tonight, you're gonna be confronted by the
instinct to drink a lot. Trust that instinct. Manage the pain. Don't
try to be a hero." -- Toby Ziegler