Jon Louis Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> how does the free market allocate resources and cash returns?

The free market does not "allocate" cash returns. The free market
allocates resources (for details, please study basic economics).
Cash returns are the outcome of an investment. In simple terms, the
return on investment is a measure of the desirability of a product or service
and the efficiency of producing it. For example, Apple's shares had a high
return after the release of the iPods and iPhones, since Apple was
able to make these products efficiently enough that people were willing
to pay significantly more for them than it cost Apple to make them.

I cannot teach you basic economics on an email list, but if you
are interested I could give you a reading list on the subject. I already
referenced a good book to start with:

http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/s8733.html