> I don't know such detail. New Zealand does have
> stricter than typical
> bio-security laws because of the influence agriculture and
> tourism has
> on our economy. Among other reasons past attempts by E.U
> countries to
> denigrate NZs meat industry (in attempts to have it
> excluded as
> competition to their own) have compelled us to be clean
> beyond reproach.
> I think steroids are outlawed as I recall recent debate on
> relaxing the
> relevant legislation.
> Chemical fertilizers are widely used and run off from them
> is one of our
> greatest problems today (oxygen levels and algaes in
> rivers, lakes etc).
> Much of the North Islands volcanic plateau has been
> transformed by intense fertilization.

i am sorry to learn that and that they are relaxing some of the relevant
legislation.  one of the things i loved about your country is that it reminded
me of america when i was growing up in the fifties (except DDT was still wide
spread).  it seemed to me that the food tasted better, then, even if it wasn't
as pretty as what is sold in the supermarkets, now.  i never had to lock my
bike, and almost everyone i met was really friendly.
jon