On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, William T Goodall wrote:

> An email list represents the bazaar model of idea exchange. One can
> simply ignore threads of discourse one isn't interested in and killfile
> those that are irrelevant or pointless. Any more complicated model with
> ratings, peer trust networks, relevancy association or whatnot is
> placing faith in the idea someone else's algorithm can sort interesting
> from bullshit better than oneself.

And this is what I like about mailing lists.

I tend to read every. single. post (so I'm not subscribed to as many lists
as I *might* be), especially the ones I'm a moderator for (and one of the
others is deathly dull, but I have to keep an eye out for anything
illegal, which has been a problem once or twice), but also for the others.
Eventually I work out how much weight to give a particular poster on a
particular subject, and have the values for that in my head.

        Julia