On 10/26/2008 12:39:28 PM, John Williams ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Anecdote seen on the internet:
>
> Today on my way to lunch I passed a homeless guy with a sign that read
> 'Vote Obama, I need the money.'  I laughed.  Once in the restaurant my
> server had on a 'Obama 08' tie, again I laughed as he had given away his
> political preference -- just imagine the coincidence.  When the bill came
> I decided not to tip the server and explained to him that I was exploring
> the Obama redistribution of wealth concept. He stood there in disbelief
> while I told him that I was going to redistribute his tip to someone who I
> deemed more in need -- the homeless guy outside. The server angrily
> stormed from my sight. I went outside, gave the homeless guy $10 and told
> him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money
> more. The homeless guy was grateful.  At the end of my rather unscientific
> redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the
> money he did not earn, but the waiter was pretty angry that I gave away
> the money he did earn
> even though the actual recipient needed money more.  I guess
> redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in
> practical application.

http://www.sltrib.com/Opinion/ci_10815189

John McCain has been working "Joe the Plumber" overtime, calling on Joe to
fix the broken pipes that are flooding his campaign.
    Using Joe as a springboard, McCain is now labeling Obama's purposed tax
cuts as "welfare" for the 40 percent of working-class Americans who "pay no
federal income taxes at all." As a guy who doesn't need to read his pay
stub, McCain might be excused this ignorance of take-home pay reality; as a
presidential candidate, I don't think so.
    The truth? If you are legally employed in this country you pay federal
income taxes, at a rate of around 15 percent of your gross pay, before your
"income taxes" are ever calculated. I say around 15 percent because this
bite is kept shrouded in tax code doublespeak, and it's a little hard to
nail down.
    As a master carpenter, self-employed for decades and now part owner of a
small construction business, I know a bit about nailing. The self-employed
can tell McCain about that first 15 percent. They confront it on form SE of
their federal return, right after gross receipts and just before deductions.
But for the majority of workers who receive a paycheck, it's more cleverly
disguised.
    This first 15 percent is called the payroll tax, and as the Bard once
asked, "What's in a name?" It's entered on form 1040, just below the "income
tax" box. You add the two figures, make a check out for the total, and send
it to the IRS.
Now I'm probably missing some subtle distinction here, but when I write a
check on my income to the IRS, I call it income tax. If you are a payroll
employee you have already paid this tax in payroll deductions. The IRS
suggests that your employer "contributed" half of the total. Don't believe
it.
    Let me put on my small-businessman hat. We don't contribute a dime to
pay our employees' payroll taxes, at least we try not to. We have no lottery
winnings or stock dividends to dip into when we pay our quarterly taxes.
    Like every other viable business, we charge the full cost of employment
for our crews, including the taxes they incur. And our guys earn every dime
of this cost. If they didn't, we wouldn't last a quarter.
    The chunk that FICA saws off of their checks doesn't end their
liabilities. For example, we must pay 11 percent of payroll for workers'
compensation insurance, a figure that never shows up on a carpenter's pay
stub.
    Some nit-picking accounting type will probably point out that this fee
isn't an income tax either (though it is mandatory in every state). But when
Joe rips open his pay envelope he is interested in the bottom line, not the
semantics. As with payroll taxes, we have no magic pot of money to pay this
mandate. Either our employees earn it or they are out of a job.
    The truth is that our "Joes" are taxed out of more than 25 percent of
their income before they even look at their "income taxes." As Warren Buffet
has pointed out, they pay a higher tax rate than he pays as one of the
world's richest men.
    And we working stiffs can probably handle the taxes that keep our
parents in their own homes and give them medical care that the marketplace
would never offer, and that might cushion our retirements when our hands and
backs finally give out.
    But I'll be damned if we want some soft-handed suit calling us welfare
queens. I'm speaking here of the consultant types who probably wrote these
lines for McCain. I doubt that he would repeat them if he had ever paid a
quarterly tax or filled out a form SE.
    And if Uncle Sam kicks back to our guys a portion of the quarterly
checks that we cut, I'm here to tell him, those checks were paid for with
blood, sweat, creativity and the occasional tear.

   ---
    * JOHN "GRIZ THE CARPENTER" GRISWOLD works in Salt Lake City.
(Which BTW is in about the Reddest state there is.)

xponent
 Shoop Da Whoop Maru
rob