Jon Louis Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>  Seems to me that the GOP has been doing the most spending..,
> Clinton went out with a surplus.

1) I am a fan of gridlock. I think if Obama wins, with a Democrat
dominated Congress, there will be a lot of new spending. I'm convinced
Clinton would have spent more if the Republicans didn't dominate
Congress during most of his 8 years.

2) A surplus does not equal less spending. Clinton balanced the budget
by raising taxes and and keeping the rate of spending growth in control.
He was lucky to have a period of rapidly growing GDP and tax revenues,
and a Republican Congress for most of his years made it more difficult
to pass new spending bills. Not that a balanced budget is bad, but I'd
rather see the budget balanced by cutting spending rather than raising
taxes.