On Oct 28, 2008, at 1:47 AM, Claes Wallin wrote:

> To be sure, China is not the only interesting country in this aspect.
> See East and West Germany, Czechia and Slovakia, the former
> Yugoslavian
> countries, the North and the South in the American Civil War etc. But
> China is more interesting, because it is still ambiguous today -- both
> governments call themselves the "real" China.

Slovakia is a somewhat more interesting case, as (if I remember
correctly) it is almost entirely made up of land that used to be part
of Hungary, which (like most of the countries bordering on Hungary)
took control of Hungarian territory when Hungary entirely disbanded
its armed forces after WWI.

(Hungary is the only country I know of which borders entirely on land
that used to belong to it.  Before WWI and the union with Austria, its
borders extended to the edges of the Carpathian Basin and included
Slovakia, Transylvania, and parts of former Yugoslavia (including the
Adriatic coast around Split, I think), Austria, and the Czech
Republic.  Esztergom, which used to be one of the major central
cities, is now on the border.)

Transylvania in particular is still very bilingual and bicultural, and
many of the church liturgies are almost exclusively Hungarian, despite
fairly strong pressure from the Romanian government (particularly
during the Ceaucescu regime) to assimilate into Romania.  So,
returning to the original subject, is it Hungary, Romania, or
something else all its own?  :)  (My vote goes to #3.)