On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM, John Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> What exactly do you mean when you say "free markets reliably regulate
>> prices"?
>
> Exactly what I wrote.

So, meaningless. Or so broad as to have no useful meaning.

> That hardly explains a sudden, huge increase in the price.

Oil been coming down for several months now.

> You obviously weren't in North Carolina, where stations were out of gas and
> prices were the highest in the nation recently (and where my mother was very
> happy to own a Prius).

I've never been to North Carolina. But I'll bet there were either
"price gouging" laws or credible threats  to gas stations who charged
prices that were said by some to be too high.

> But what does that have to do with price regulation,
> by market forces or otherwise?

The prices coordinate the entire process I described.