> To say that the market failed is either wrong or meaningless.

If I understand this correctly it was meant that markets can't fail in
the same way physics isn't failing if you fall to your death having
driven off a cliff.

However a person saying the 'markets failed' isn't unnecessarily
claiming something meaningless (such as my analogies claim 'physics
failed because I fell') because the odds are they mean something like...

'the actions taken by authorities in the claim that benefits would be
provided by free market actions failed'

...which is more akin to saying that physics didn't work the way the
driver claimed they would when he said we were going fast enough to
bridge the gap. Physics didn't fail - it was some combination of the
drivers knowledge and/or control of the cars speed and it's relationship
to the required jump that failed.

It isn't an argument about the effectiveness of the economic disciplines
descriptive powers but about the practical effects of government policy.

It being true that markets can't fail if by markets all you mean is the
descriptive actions of economics it is also true that being able to
describe economics doesn't make that the answer to everything.

Continuing with analogies, being able to describe the physical
properties of matter doesn't mean everything if I want to build a house.

I still have to build something with my understanding and it doesn't
help for people to keep saying 'let it sort itself out' because hammers,
wood and nails won't, no matter how much I will value the house,
construct one if I don't design it and organise the work.

Economies will always exist, but if we want one structured to an end we
desire (public police forces supporting rule by law for example being
something we want provided by our economy), we have to build it.

And if the design includes the ridiculous nonsense that has recently
endangered all economic activity then it's fair to say it has failed.