On Dec 23, 2008, at 12:34 AM, Doug Pensinger wrote:

> Speaking of wind, I ran across an odd phenomenon while backpacking in
> the Sierra Nevada something close to twenty years ago.   The wind
> actually came in waves; it would start out at a low velocity and
> continue to build over a period of something like 30 seconds at which
> point it was howling.  Then it would stop dead and stay calm for
> several seconds before repeating.  This continued all night then at
> some point the wind became continuous and later it snowed and we went
> scurrying for the trailhead.
>
> Has anyone else run into something like that, or heard of it
> happening?  It was in early September in the Desolation wilderness
> south of Tahoe.
>
> Doug

I'm sure there's chaos involved in that somehow.  :)  (Not as
informative answer as it might sound, LOL)

My guess is that if you were able to sample the wind speed at that
point, you'd see something rather fractal, probably a 1/f
distribution.  The periodicity probably is a long-wavelength
resonance, though, sort of like seiches in lakes ..