I don't differ with Tetlock's essential findings: the pronouncements of most
professional pundits in the areas of economics or geopolitics are less than
worthless.  I've seen separate documentation that, if you use a broker, you
will, on average, do slightly worse than simply investing in a broad based
index fund.

However, having said that, I think that the implications of his work might
lead one to overstate the case; to state that there is no worth in studying
or trying to understand finance or geopolitics.  The former has been argued
extensively here, so let me go to the latter.

We know, for example, that the Bush White house had total disdain for the
experts in nation building.  After the successful defeat of the Iraq army,
the provisional authority dismissed the experts in the field, and went there
own way, relying on totally unproven techniques.  The results were a
disaster.

In 2006, the US put its COIN expert in charge of the Iraq war.  Since then,
the US has done much better.  Thus, we have a case were the experts were
clearly in the right.

Thus, we seem to have a good example of taking expertise with a grain of
salt, instead of totally disdaining them.

Dan M.