On Jan 9, 2009, at 8:47 AM, David Hobby wrote:

>> And some of us became accustomed at an early age to integer number
>> systems that wrap around from (2^n)-1 to -2^n, for various relatively
>> small values of n.  :)
>
> For some values of "early"?  I don't think kindergarteners
> count "1, 2, 3, -4, -3, ...".  : )
>
>                               ---David

Only on cheap two-bit computers.  :)  (Well, actually, that would be a
cheap 3-bit computer..)

Running into the 32767 -> -32768 wraparound was definitely an
annoyance, though.  (At the time, the environment I was playing in
didn't have anything corresponding to a longint type, and I was just
starting to find that wraparound a fairly seriously crippling
limitation.  It was only later that I learned about precision integer
techniques, and they wouldn't have been feasible in the language or on
the hardware I was using at the time anyway.)  But having grown up
with discreteness of that sort made my later approach to more
theoretical math a bit .. odd.  :D