On 08/05/2009, at 3:41 AM, Nick Arnett wrote:

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Bruce Bostwick <lihan161...@sbcglobal.net > wrote:
On May 6, 2009, at 5:57 PM, William Goodall wrote:

Anti-evolutionist Don McLeroy, a dentist and chair of the Texas State Board of Education, testified at Friday's hearing: "I disagree with these experts. Someone has got to stand up to experts."

Especially people who .. you know .. lack any kind of scientific expertise at all?

I guess it helps if you go in already knowing what you believe and determined not to let objective reality get in the way ..

I think this sort of thing has been unfortunately encouraged by rules and policies like the Fairness Doctrine, which was based on the well-intentioned, but seriously flawed, idea that every argument automatically has a legitimate counter-argument.

Bloody po-mo all opinions are equally valid crap. Really gets up my nose, along with the "everyone has to pass" rubbish some school systems push. Grrrrr.

Thus we get all sorts of "experts" to offer "the other viewpoint" on all sorts of things. On issues where there are many legitimate opinions, this kind of thinking dilutes them to just two. Big media has encouraged this sort of non-thinking.

Yep. It would be ripe for parody, but the Poe Effect comes into play pretty rapidly.

Charlie.