http://www.weforum.org/pdf/whitepaper.pdf
> A child born in Niger today is 40 times more likely to die before
> her fifth birthday than a child born in the United Kingdom.  A
> 15-year-old boy in Swaziland has only an 18% chance of celebrating
> his 60th birthday; if he had been fortunate enough to have been born
> in Switzerland, he would have a 91% chance.  A young woman in Uganda
> is 300 times more likely to die in childbirth than her sister in the
> United States.  The impact of poor health on economic growth and
> political stability in Sub-Saharan Africa has been devastating; two
> African heads of state have predicted that their countries will cease to
> exist if HIV/AIDS is not brought under control. More than 300 million
> people—nearly half the population—live on less than US$1 a day.

Compare the need of these people to that of a wealthy 87-year-old
American who can have his life extended a few months (in constant
pain) for $100K. I think of how many more people, younger people with
many years of life ahead of them, could be helped by that $100K.

And I resent the government forcing me to spend much of my surplus
income on people like the 87-year-old so that I have much less to help
people like the child born in Niger.