http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba653
| COBRA (the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act) is a
| federal law that gives former employees the right to stay in an
| employer's health insurance plan for up to 18 months. But the cost is
| high: You have to pay 100 percent of the employer's premiums plus 2
| percent for administrative costs.

| There may be cheaper alternatives to COBRA, especially if you have
| no severe health problems. For example, a Dallas family of four with
| both parents in their 20s could buy a preferred provider organization
| (PPO) plan with a $2,000 deductible for a $4,680 annual premium. That
| same family's annual COBRA premium would be closer to $13,000, on
| average. If the family chose a $5,000 deductible, the annual premium
| would be less than $3,500. Some of these plans also qualify for an
| HSA, allowing the policy holder to set money aside tax-free to pay
| medical expenses. You can contact independent insurance agencies to
| compare policies or shop online at sites that compare prices, such as
| http://www.ehealthinsurance.com. Some insurers even offer short term
| medical "gap" coverage for people between jobs, retiring prior to
| Medicare eligibility, or not yet eligible for company benefits and for
| students about to graduate.

> With health care costs going up, companies are dropping coverage.  If we do
> nothing, we'll go to a real individual free market.

More market discipline in health care would be a good thing. Here is
an example of how far we are from a real health care market where
consumers evaluate costs and make decisions based on those costs:

Kathy Gurchiek, "Consumers Savvier about Cost of a New Car than a
Hospital Stay," Human Resource News , August 2, 2005.
| A Harris Poll found that consumers can guess the price of a new Honda
| Accord within $300.  But when asked to estimate the cost of a four-day
| hospital stay, those same consumers were off by $8,100!  Further, 63
| percent of those who had received medical care during the last two years
| did not know the cost of the treatment until the bill arrived.  Ten
| percent said they never learned the cost.

There are precious few examples of market driven health care in the
US, but here are two:

 “2005 Average Surgeon/Physician Fees: Cosmetic Procedures,”
American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2006; “1992 Average Surgeon
Fees,” American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 1993.
| transparent package prices covering all services are the norm. Even
| though technological progress is frequently assumed to increase health
| care costs, the real price of cosmetic surgery has declined over the
| 1992 to 2005 period, despite substantial technological progress and a
| six-fold increase in demand.  From 1992 to 2005, a price index of common
| cosmetic surgery procedures rose only 22 percent while the average
| increase for medical services was 77 percent; overall, prices for all
| goods increased 39 percent.

H.T. Tu and J.H May, “Self-Pay Markets in Health
Care: Consumer: Nirvana or Caveat Emptor?” Health Affairs 26, no. 2
(2007)
| In corrective vision surgery, out-of-pocket payments and package
| prices are the norm, and the real price has declined by 30% over the
| past decade.

When consumers make decisions based on out-of-pocket expenses, real
health care costs can actually decrease.

Dan M wrote:
> In those cases, what
> we'll have a continued expansion of the extremely inefficient way we provide
> health care to those without the money to pay for it.

As compared to the extremely inefficient system of mandated health
care plans we currently have imposed on us by various governments:

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba523