On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Doug Pensinger<brig...@zo.com> wrote:

> They talked about the whispernet in the instructions I've read so far, but I
> didn't realize exactly what it was.  Before I got the thing I assumed that
> downloading was via the computer/net.  Silly me.  I just downloaded a book
> and it seemed to load pretty quickly.

The default is to download over the cell network (I don't like to call
it by the saccharine whispernet), but you can choose to download book
files to your computer and then transfer to the kindle via USB.

> Is there any free content?

There are free books available on amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1248584530/ref=sr_st?rs=154606011&page=1&rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A!133141011%2Cn%3A154606011&bbn=154606011&sort=price

There are other sources as well, just google "free kindle books"

> The instructions said there was some sort of pdf
> translation software but implied that it wasn't free and that it didn't
> always work right.  It also said something about being able to load your own
> documents.

The Kindle DX can display PDF files -- just hook the USB cable to a
computer, and the Kindle DX shows up as a MSC device. You can drag
book files, PDF files, etc.

I believe the Kindle 2 allows you to transfer PDF files from the
computer vias USB after filtering through a translation program. Or
you can pay a fee for Amazon to translate the PDF file and download it
to the Kindle 2 over the cell network. But I'm not positive about any
of that (one reason I got the DX was so I did not have to bother with
that)