Bruce wrote:

>What exactly *do* you propose as an alternative to public-option health
care
>for people who aren't fortunate enough to be able to afford health
insurance that
>will actually cover treatments?

You didn't ask me; but I thought I'd actually propose something that makes
sense.  First, it makes sense for leverage to be used on folks making tons
of money on health care.  A surgeon can, in an 8 hour day, do 3 surguries
and the associated follow up care for about 8k.  I've seen what Blue
Cross/Blue Shield pays, and I base it on that.  We can pay hospitals,
physicians, etc. a lot less...other countries do while maintaining superior
measurables.

Second, reasonable tort reform makes sense.  I know from family experience
that, when there are two studies out within a few months, one indicating
physicians should stop a med; the other suggesting it be continued, the
physician can be sued and be forced to pay money.

We are unique in the developed world in how often we sue.  I can understand
the oppositon to upper limits on damages: if a drunk physician were to kill
someone and folks knew he was drunk beforehand (coverups have existed), the
folks deserve to pay triple lost earnings and punative damages. The amount
of malpractice awards is a minor part of the cost.  It's the time spent
jumping through hoops that costs so much.  A physician should be protected
by providing a reasonable standard of care; and if studies are inconclusive
on a drug...neither using it or not using it should be grounds for a suit.

We need to have a reasonable approach to end of life.  We spend more than
any developed country streatching the last week into the last month or two.
Coding a patient with multiple strokes and virtually no functionality and
no hope for recovery twice a day for months is crazy.  On this point I
agree with John; it makes no sense to have a money is no limit view towards
expensive procedures for those about to die even with the procedures.

Realizing this fact is probably poltically impossible.

We need a way to get the rest of the developed world to help pay for
innovations.  How, I'm not sure.  If we cut costs; R&D will dry up; drug
companies spend on it like AT&T use to when it was a monopoly.  If they
follow more typical companies; we'll have few new drugs.  We need to trade
off governments helping to study phase III results, with the immediate
right to pull the drug, for drug company's agreements to only sell the
meds. for the intended purpose.

We need to offer affordable insurance for everyone. Brad DeLong's
arguement, IIRC, is to have health savings accounts required for X% of
income, and after that government insurance can take over.  This would have
to include Medicare; which can't function as it's going for another 10
years.

Well, that's a starting point, although it's not fleshed out.

Dan M.