Bruce Bostwick wrote:
Part of my concern with the concept in general is the fairly glaring admin/management deficiency described in this article:

http://dailyqi.com/?p=10576

I've been avoiding most articles on this subject because there is a lot of FUD out there and very little real truth. Some of that is T-Mobile blamestorming and some of that is the usual sorts that like any opportunity to smear Microsoft. It's very easy to focus on the negative case studies in "cloud computing" and miss the 99.9% of the time when stuff works as it is supposed to. No one buys digital ads for articles about "the status quo works, go back to sleep".

Danger was acquired in February of this year and I wouldn't be surprised that the majority of the infrastructure in question predated the acquisition. Even big companies like Microsoft can't magically change infrastructure with the snap of a finger...

Furthermore, to my knowledge, Microsoft/Danger have been explicitly mum about what precisely the technological glitches were that lead to the failures. It's certainly easy to presume that "there were no backups at all", but at this point it is still hearsay, at best, and my money is on slander.

I've heard that some of the affected customers have already started to get some of their personal data back and the press release from Microsoft declares that they are "confident" that they will restore the majority of it, which seems to contradict the "no backups at all" theory pretty well. (I doubt that they would remain "confident" if they were combing disks in clean rooms for good sectors...)

Certainly Microsoft isn't entirely blameless, you would assume a technical audit would be an early priority in any acquisition. Presumably stability issues would be a huge priority and reliability engineers would be some of the first gated into a acquisition project.

More particularly, I think that T-Mobile isn't nearly as blameless as they would like to believe or portray themselves as. Getting back to that "it's who you ask the questions" of problem, T-Mobile was the first call in that chain (their name is branded on the product!) and if their answer at any point was "we don't know about our service's reliability" or "our service is absolutely reliable" without connection to reality (and without in turn encouraging customers to talk to Danger if they wanted deeper answers), then they are absolutely a part of the blame and a part of the problem.

All of which isn't to say that your fears, Barry, are unwarranted or that caution doesn't apply. More that I think that journalists (and almost especially "tech" journalists) seem to be having a harder and harder time reflecting technical reality and I think there is a need for some mechanism to break the tedious Hype then Fear/FUD/Doom/Gloom cycle. To me this is exactly the sort of story that breaks that doesn't get a healthy grain of salt...

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.ne