*Delurking*

I could use some telescope purchasing advice, if anyone's interested in
helping.  My astonomy knowledge is quite limited.

My 9 year old son asked for a telescope for Christmas (amongst a million
other things).  My mom bought him a $37 Toys-R-Us one which I think is
likely little better than a toy, so I convinced her to return it and said
I'd get him a better one.  I'd love to encourage him in this direction and
don't want to get something crappy that would turn him off, but at the same
time, we've already bought stuff for him, my budget is quite limited, and I
don't want to spend several hundreds on a telescope he might quickly lose
interest in.

A lot of the advice I found web searching basically says any telescope under
$250 is junk and to buy a good set of binoculars instead.  But then that's
usually followed up by saying that you need to spend at least $100-$150 to
find a decent set of binoculars.  The problem with that advice is that
binoculars likely won't really capture his imagination/interest and that
$100 (or maybe $150) is the most I'd want to spend.  But then most of this
advice seems to be directed against toy/department store refraction
telescopes marketed based on "675X" super-magnification, while the ones I'm
looking at are reflection-type and make no such claims: the Celestron
PowerSeeker 114EQ and PowerSeeker 127EQ are both around $100.  The few
reviews I could find seem to be a mixed bag of people very delighted and
very disappointed, which leaves me wary.

Alternately, the Celestron Firstscope is quite cheap ($50), has some (almost
suspiciously) good reviews, and seems aimed at kids.  But it's a tabletop
model (which seems like it'd be awkward if you'd have to bring a table with
you to a park or into your back yard), and a few pictures I've seen of its
output view make me wonder if the magnification is at the "why bother"
level.

We don't need to spot nebulas, etc - I'd just like him to be able to resolve
enough extra detail looking at the moon, stars and other naked-eye objects
that he might be motivated to explore further.   Is that possible with a
scope under $150?  Or am I wasting my time?  Would $200 or $250 do much
better?  Is giving him no telescope better than giving him a disappointing
one?

Thanks,
-Bryon