On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Ronn! Blankenship <
ronn_blankens...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> SkyandTelescope.com - Homepage Equipment - Low-Cost Starter Scopes -
> http://www.skyandtelescope.com/equipment/home/69745547.html

This was exactly the kind of article I had been looking for.  The Orion 3"
reflector was out of stock, but the slightly pricier Orion 70mm refractor
just squeaks under the budget and was able to get spouse approval, so that's
the one I ordered.

A nicer, "family" telescope might be a good option in the future if any of
our kids pick up on it, but right now besides budget, my wife is convinced
that a delicate instrument like a telescope won't last long around our 3
kids (age 9 & under).

Thanks Charlie, Ronn & Bruce for your help/advice!

-Bryon