Nick Arnett wrote:
Lesley has a Facebook page, but that doesn't really seem right for this. Anybody know of a site or software that might work well for that purpose, where people could upload, write, etc.?

First of all, since you've been playing with Wiki tools for the Imaginaria Wiki you could probably setup your own simple "family wiki" in the time it takes to research this.

One site you might look at is Geni.com. It attempts to be a social network built around your genealogy tree so it has many of the "Facebook-like" things of photos and profiles, but it has family-oriented privacy settings (like "only my immediate family" and "all blood relatives"). It might particularly be of interest in bringing family history to young kids because you get the graphical tree of relatives to navigate. On the other hand, I'm not sure how easy it might be for friends, rather than relatives, to contribute, if that were a goal you had in mind.

I know there are also several "virtual memorial" sites around, some better funded than others. About a month or so ago that was a big "next thing" in the VC world-- "Facebooks of the dead" so to speak-- but I think it has already mostly fizzled out as quickly as it became a fad. Of course I'm just judging by what I read in tech journals.

--
--Max Battcher--
http://worldmaker.net