On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Dan Minette <danmine...@att.net> wrote:

> In hindsight, the housing bubble is obvious.  Heck, at the time, I knew
> there was a housing bubble, and if you look at Brin-l archives, you will
> see
> that I wrote it.

It was clear that values were high.  That was always clear to me.  But HOW
high?  And for how long would they stay high?  Aside from a handful of
people who, by intelligence or luck - and we can't know which - profited
from the mortgage crisis, the experts who made a business of making loans,
failed, badly.  When somebody who underwrites real estate loans for a living
can't value property, how can an ordinary person be expected to do so?  The
industry still doesn't really know the values.  My mistake was to trust the
market and the industry.  If the industry had done nothing wrong, then the
market would not have over-valued real estate.

> So, I'm finally at my point, if someone buys a house that is clearly
> overvalued, as houses in the SF area still are, why should someone else pay
> their loss?  Is it any different than putting one's retirement money into a
> NASDAC index fund in 1999?

Yes, it is quite different.  For one thing, housing is not a investment for
most people.  More to the point, retirement isn't borrowed money. When the
stock market has had the equivalent of appraisers (analysts) inflating their
valuations to whatever price the buyer and seller agreed on, they have been
successfully sued in class actions. Yet that sort of thing was rampant in
the mortgage market.  Loans for buying stock are highly regulated so that
when a bubble breaks, it has to be an enormous drop (compared with the drop
in housing values) to leave the borrower under water.  There's nothing like
100 percent financing in the stock market, at least not legally.  If a stock
broker followed the predatory lending practices of mortgage companies,
they'd be drowning in litigation because of the way that industry is
regulated.  And there are huge differences in disclosure regulations... but
the mortgage industry couldn't even possibly meet any disclosure
requirements because the selling of default swaps and such make it
impossible even for them to know the value of the properties on which they
made loans.

Nick