>    1. Re: Politeness
> (=?utf-8?b?V2FycmVuIEFkYW1zLU9ja3Jhc3Nh?=)
>    2. Politeness (Jon Louis Mann)
>    3. RE: Politeness (Dan Minette)
>    4. Re: Politeness (John Williams)
>    5. Re: Politeness (John Williams)
>    6. Re: Politeness (John Williams)
>    7. Re: Politeness (Nick Arnett)
>    8. Re: Politeness
> (=?utf-8?b?V2FycmVuIEFkYW1zLU9ja3Jhc3Nh?=)

> From: <war...@nightwares.com>
> Having been watching from the sidelines,
> it's amazing how easy it is
> for me to decide whose voice is
> respectable and mature, and whose is
> childish and petulant, in this discussion.

> > From: John Williams <jwilliams4...@gmail.com>
> > >? It's not like he's some genius who doesn't
> suffer fools; that I would respect.

> > It is not like you are a successful politician. Why
> would anyone care about having your respect?

> > I actually think this is a statement made in good
> > faith. IMHO, you would grow if you were able to
> > understand the answer to that question. While self
> > respect is critical, and one shouldn't put up a
> > false front to get respect, earning the respect of
> > those who have achieved less than you can be very
> > beneficial.? The reason why will be left as an
>  >exercise for the student. :-)
> > Dan M.

> >>  I actually think

> >I'm not so sure about that.
> (John Williams)

> Allow me to retort to John William's rude retorts (if that
> really is his name). He assumes that I am not a successful
> politician because I have not won an election.  In his
> ignorance and lack of understanding of how politics work, is
> the fact that I refuse to sell out.  It would defeat
> the purpose of why I run for office.  I don't just
> talk, I do the walk.   I have succeeded in
> setting the agenda for a number of issues using some of the
> strategies in "Earth".  In the last election there were
> 15 candidates for 4 positions on the council.  The
> incumbents and those who make promises to gain the support
> of special interests always win.  The 4 behind who also
> had special interests but not the local machine, spent at
> least $50,000.  I came in a few hundred votes behind
> them and ahead of all the remaining candidates.  Not
> bad, when my only endorsement was the Green party...
> I'm Jonathan Mann and I approve this message!~)

> From: "Dan Minette" <danmine...@att.net>
> I would like to clarify one thing that I said and to comment
> on something Jonathan Mann said.
> > While self respect is critical, and one shouldn't put
> up a false front
> > to get respect, earning the respect of those who have
> achieved less
> > than you can be very beneficial.
> While I didn't want to complicate my reply at the time, I do
> want to take
> this opportunity to say that in no way was I referring to
> how much Jon
> achieved or hasn't achieved. I was referring to John
> Williams attitude.  The
> [...]

JW, you really need to crawl out of your Mommy's basement and find something
more rewarding to do that trying to lower others to your level of purile
provocation and personal attack.  By posting "Actually, no, that is not why I
assume you are not successful" you're clearly evading responding to my
questioning your comment why you assume I am not successful by phishing to get
me to respond to your sarcasm, so you can deliver another cheap shot.  That is
exactly what trolls do when they can't refute an argument or retort.  If you're
not mature enough to participate in a rational dialog you should say nothing,
or leave.  Why are you on this site, anyway.  you don't seem like a fan of
David Brin?
As for making compromises to get elected it wouldn't make a difference in this
case.  That is what Obama does, and he is much better than the alternative.  In
this case, no one would believe I would change my spots, plus they would not
support me anyway because they already have too many candidates who would sell
out for real. There is no way I will EVER agree to revolving door conflict of
interest cronyism, backscratching patronage, politics!
My goals include getting the SMO airport closed, getting free WiFi with a link
to a Virtual Town Hall on the city website, etc. I have made substantial
progress in that direction.  Sometimes the best way to win is to lose.  That is
what Japan did...
Jon Mann