I like the ideas of shorter seasons, but am concerned that this will have a
poorer effect on mixed at international tournaments.

I can see that a split will mean that mixed UK tournaments may be better attended,
but with a split season, many players that currently only play open/womens
will possibly more easily play both.  That means more players from the
other divisions diluting the mixed teams.  When it comes to European/
World events, these players may revert back to their open/womens teams.

To improve at international standard, we surely need to ensure that the
players going abroad are playing together as a whole for tournaments in the UK.

Instead of splitting the season mixed/open, how about B tour then A tour.
Each A team could be allowed to take on X amount of players from a B
tour team to add to their A squad for the A squad season.  X amount of A
players could be allowed to play with their tour B team.

The B tour players are our next A tour players!

Improve the average team ability by sharing the expertise.  Limit the amount of
players allowd to any one squad.  You have this in other sports.  Maybe somewhere
in the 20's ( probably 21 or 23 :P  ) (An exception would have to be made for
university teams).  What happens each time there is an international club event and
teams that have too many players cut some for those events. The players cut then
join clubs they have never played with before so they can go to these events.
It is all well and good for the team at the top of the food chain as they still have
players that have been training with them all along, but the teams below are changing
their line up.

Alternatively, remove the allowance of 2nd, 3rd, etc, teams, but maintain geo rules.
To promote a player after the B tour into the A tour, that player still needs to be
within the geo regulations.  Reduce the geo circle.

Possibly run mixed and open simultaneously to enforce players staying dedicated
to their team for that season.  Players register at the beginning of a season for
the tour that they are entering, be it A, B, mixed or womens, with promotion
of players allowed from B to any other division.

These are of course just suggestions for people to think about.

Happy thinking

Sean